This is definitely a plug. Not that they’re paying me to provide one but when it comes to helmets I feel it’s good to promote excessively. To date, I’ve owned three. These are their stories.
“The cushions inside of Shoei's Neotec Modular helmet are flawlessly comfortable. Ear pads and a chin curtain eliminate wind entry for a very quiet ride.”
My first was a flat black (because I’m so cool), modular (because I’m so hi-tech), Hawk (because I’m so CHEAP) dual-visor helmet minus the bluetooth system. It’s sun visor isn’t polarized, the modular attachment points often come loose and, in all of my genius, the flat black surface is gone due to my use of chemical solvents to clean it. I must say however that, for the price, this was a smart purchase.
Hawk makes a great starter helmet. They’re protective, feature-rich and comfortable. Mine now functions as a backup.
Next comes a modular worthy of little mention. Coerced by a salesperson to buy a pair of “Phantoms”, I paid more money for something with less features that doesn’t break in (ever). I eventually returned both along with some other junk before walking out with my current favorite …
- Like a pillow from some luxury resort, Shoei’s helmet padding is flawlessly comfortable.
- Earpads and a chin curtain eliminate wind entry, making for a quiet ride.
- There’s little if any buffeting (your head doesn’t get tossed around by wind).
- Every vent works. You can actually feel the air flow through while standing still.
- A fog resistant insert lens comes with.
- The inner/secondary visor (tinted shade) is well polarized.
- Shoei modular helmets are among the most successful against the infamous roll-off test.
Shoei helmets consistently show very low impact response and the highest crash protection, especially for the full facial coverage and modular helmets.
For you current owners, here’s how to clean your Shoei Neotec modular helmet:
What Motorcycle Helmets Do You Prefer?
Often times, different designs fit different people’s heads. Which helmet make/model do you prefer most? What do you like about it and why? Your input is invited. Post an article!